- Each chapter begins with a case example
- Information on children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds is woven into each chapter
- “Food for Thought” boxes invite students to move beyond the text and consider the implications for assessment and intervention of the material
- Key terms are highlighted throughout and included in a handy glossary
- Numerous tables provide easy reference on the many techniques and norms
- Multiple appendices include additional practical information
- New and improved modern layout with color enhancements
- 600+ new references highlighting the latest theoretical and evidence-based practices
- Greater focus on discussions of assessment of children with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- New section on developmental language disorders (DLD), with new and more inclusive terms
- Increased emphasis on autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- The chapters on language and narrative analysis have been strengthened and consolidated into one
- Increased number of figures and tables
- Publisher : Plural Publishing Inc.; Seventh Edition (October 3, 2022)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 759 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1635504139
- ISBN-13 : 978-1635504132
By Robert E. Owens Jr.
Thoroughly updated to meet the needs of today’s students in communication sciences and disorders programs, Language Disorders: A Functional Approach to Assessment and Intervention in Children, Seventh Edition is a comprehensive overview of language disorders and clinical practice with a focus on the child’s overall communication effectiveness. Unlike other texts that have a disorder-specific focus, this book emphasizes a functional and holistic approach to assessment and intervention by shifting the perspective to how a child uses the language feature targeted and how assessment can consider language as it’s used. The author presents intervention methods in a system of least prompts, followed by information on each area of language and literacy. Generalization is foremost throughout the text.
Known for writing numerous bestselling textbooks related to speech-language pathology, the author approaches this complex subject in a practical matter while maintaining a conversational writing style that resonates with students.
New to the Seventh Edition