ASN Board Review Course & Update Online 2018
The Board Review Course & Update (BRCU) focuses on key information needed to prepare for the ABIM Nephrology
Board Certification and Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Examinations. The American Society of Nephrology (ASN)
structures and schedules BRCU to maximize participants’ readiness for these examinations. This course also provides a
comprehensive and indispensable update for practicing nephrologists.
Each BRCU topic section and its applicable time allocation are patterned after the ABIM nephrology examination
blueprint. Lectures, case discussions, and panel Q&A sessions are integral parts of the BRCU program. Relevant
physiology and pathophysiology are blended with clinical discussions aimed at reviewing, updating, and preparing for the
Certification and MOC examinations
At the conclusion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
1. Interpret the fundamental concepts of nephrology in the areas of kidney function and structure; fluid and electrolyte
disorders; glomerular and vascular disorders; potassium and acid base; tubulointerstitial disorders and nephrolithiasis;
CKD, ESRD, and dialysis; hypertension; AKI, ICU, and pharmacology; bone and mineral metabolism; and
2. Formulate diagnostic and therapeutic options for the management of kidney diseases.
3. Test individual medical practice competence against a series of simulated patient/case scenarios.
• Senior Nephrologists: Practicing nephrologists in all key areas of the specialty. The course also benefits pediatric
nephrologists, intensivists, and hospitalists.
• Board Examination Participants: Individuals are thoroughly prepared for upcoming Certification and MOC exams.
• Nephrology Fellows: Fellows seeking a detailed outline and discussion of what their current fellowship program should
• FASN Candidates: The 65.0 CME credit hours earned at BRCU can be applied towards the 70 hours required to
qualify for FASN status
|Assessment of Kidney Function and Structure|
|Perturbations in the Distribution of Body Fluid Compartments and Fluid and Electrolyte Disorders|
|Glomerular and Vascular Disorders|
|Potassium and Acid-Base|
|Tubulointerstitial Disorders and Nephrolithiasis|
|CKD and ESRD|
|AKI, ICU Nephrology, and Pharmacology|
|Bone and Mineral Metabolism and Transplantation|